Friday, May 22, 2009

Fees & Costs Updated: Family-Based Green Cards

I published a post almost a year ago regarding family-based green card fees and costs in the CNMI. A few things have happened since then, and so I’ve decided to slightly update the numbers.

FormRequired with FormFee/Cost
I-130Petition for Alien Relative• Evidence of relationship (e.g., marriage certificate, joint account information, etc.)
• If previously married, evidence of termination of marriage
• 1 passport photo
• G-325A biographical info
I-485Adjustment to Permanent Status Application• G-325A biographical info
• Copy of passport
• Copy of CNMI immigration permit
• Birth certificate
• 2 passport photos
• Police clearance or, if criminal history, provide evidence
• I-693 Medical report
• fingerprinting fee

I-864Affidavit of Support for Immediate Relative• Most recent tax filing (w/ W2 form)--
Total USCIS Fees$1,365
Medical exam for
I-693 report
Estimate only. Prices range based on what tests are needed for the applicant.$600
AttorneyEstimate only. Fees vary.$1,000
Total Est. Costs$1,600

A major change is the removal of airfare (for two) to Guam. Family-based green card applicants can now have their interviews conducted in Saipan at the recently-opened Application Support Center in the TSL Plaza, Beach Road in Garapan. USCIS has already scheduled numerous appointments, and I have already attended two green card interviews for my clients.

More attorneys are gearing up for the increase in immigration clients. See the previous post on the recent immigration workshop. While I kept the estimated attorney fees the same at $1,000, there seems to be a wider range of prices, and those too seem to be constantly changing.

I have heard medical exam fees decreasing a bit, which is why I lowered the estimated costs. You can run a search of authorized health care providers on the USCIS website here, by zip code. Here is the current list that is generated when typing 96950 for the CNMI:

Dr. Ahmad Al-Alou, Pacific Medical Center
P.O. Box 501908 CK, Saipan, MP 96950
(670) 233-8100
Dr. Anthony R. Stearns, Marianas Medical Center
PO Box 506 CHRB, Saipan, MP 96950
(670) 234-3925
Dr. Christine Brown, Island Medical Center
P.O. Box 504669, Saipan, MP 96950
(670) 235-8880
Dr. Richard Brostrom, Commonwealth Health Center
P.O. Box 409 CK, Saipan, MP 96950
(670) 234-8950
Dr. Tiffany L. Willis, Marianas Medical Center
P.O. Box 5006, CHRB, Saipan, MP 96950
(670) 234-3925

Top image entitled “Liberty for immigrants' rights” by philocrites and published under an Attribution NonCommercial Creative Commons license.


Wendy said...

I am amazed that it costs up to $1,000 to hire an attorney to process a green card. I thought the paperwork was fairly self-explanatory and did it myself when applying for my husband and later, his mom. Is there a pro bono service anywhere on Saipan for those needing assistance in completing the paperwork?

Saipan Writer said...

People are not required to have attorneys.

MLSC does represent some people on these types of cases. And we do not charge legal fees. But we can't possibly handle the need.

I'm hoping we'll have a workshop presentation later (possibly in September), where we just do a simple walk-through of the forms and how people can complete the process on their own.

Wendy said...

The workshop sounds like a great plan.

Mildred said...

Hello! I am in Michigan, USA and I want to petition my dad who is currently in Saipan as a contract worked. I am filing a petition for alien relative, I-130. He intends to stay in Saipan once the petition is approved. Can I file the I-130 and I-485 concurrently? Or should I do the petition first then he would file the I-485 himself? Would appreciate your advice or thoughts on this. Thanks!

Jane said...


We don't give advice to individuals on this blog.

Generally speaking, an immediate relative of a USC can file for adjustment of status (I-485) anytime, including concurrently with the I-130. On the other hand, an alien relative falling under the preference categories can only file for adjustment once the alien’s priority date becomes current. An immediate relative is defined as parents (if the sponsor is at least 21), spouses and children (who are unmarried and under 21).

For more general information, the website is an excellent source. Or you can arrange for an appointment with USCIS by going online to

Furthermore, because immigration law is very complex, people applying for green cards oftentimes seek the assistance of an attorney.

Good luck.

Phil said...

In order to apply for a Family-Based Green Card, you must be sponsored by a family member in the U.S. If the sponsor is a U.S. citizen, then he or she must be the foreign applicant's husband or wife, mother or father, brother or sister or son or daughter. If the sponsor is a Lawful Permanent Resident (also known as a "Green card Holder"), then he or she must be the foreign applicant's spouse or child.


Apply Green Card